Thursday, August 1, 2013

Whose fault is your disappointment?

In my opinion, if you are disappointed, it's probably due to your misunderstanding of the intended outcome. 

When someone finds a particular service or piece of work to be a disappointment and I have delivered at a level where I am happy with what I have done, it is likely that the client didn't understand what we both agreed upon. Although this is still something I can correct, I don't take the comment to heart.

Ambiguity will lead to disappointment. For instance, if you enjoy ice cream and I tell you that I am going to get you an ice cream cone, you'll get excited. When I return with a fifty cent cone from the local fast food joint and you were hoping for a large cone (with sprinkles!) from Dairy Queen, you are certainly going to be disappointed. However, if I say "I am going to McDonald's for a cone. Do you want one?", it's likely that you won't be disappointed with the result.

To help mitigate this problem, it is important to communicate clearly. Make sure that you've told the client everything. Make sure that they know what you've committed to, what your intentions are, how you plan to deliver, and what you will all use to measure success. It's not just a matter of telling them - you have to be sure they hear you. These ideas are as important to your business as the ability to deliver a great product. A disappointed customer is a customer that will look elsewhere next time.

--
ciao

No comments:

Post a Comment